Originally Posted by T_Inman
Not a clue on the Malcom specifically but they significantly dropped the RC860 quota and made it bulls only for residents.

F&G has not done a survey of the McComb Caribou this year but I doubt the population is very robust. I just talked to a friend that flew five hours in DCUA and saw near nothing for legal rams and no concentrations of caribou. He did see a couple groups of cows/calves but no bulls. The caribou had to get under that ice layer to feed also so I don't expect they fared well. That herd usually numbers close to 2K and stays distributed throughout the area for most of the year.

The 40 Mile Caribou Herd was indicating stress for the past few years and this past winter took a toll. The digital photo census indicates the population at about 40K. The management plan calls for a quota of 3% when the herd reaches 40K. Those 1,200 harvest numbers are divided into the various areas. The 40MCH was headed to the Steese Highway where the annual opening circus has performed the past few years but they stalled out and turned south and are now in the middle of the 40 Mile Country.