Well, the easy answer is that the gun was sent back to Savage in December, 1924 where they fitted a leftover early buttstock and barrel to it, checkered and engraved it. Engraving definitely appears to be by Enoch Tue, checkering is definitely Savage Arms A3.

It's slightly odd they would have a Marlin S pistol grip buttstock and early stamped Savage Arms Co. barrel from 1899 still laying around in 1924, I almost would bet there was another work order that was done in 1899-1900 that didn't get recorded.

Either way, I'd say that explains what it is. An 1895 that was later improved by the Savage factory.

Beautiful gun! Love it when a letter helps explains the gun.

In 1896 there was a Nelson and Mattson doing Bicycles, Guns and Locksmithing in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In 1924 there was a Kennedy Brothers Arms Company in Minnesota, but "Kennedy Brothers" was a fairly common company name with other companies in Michigan, New York, Saskatchewan, etc. Considering the MN company was "Kennedy Brothers Arms Co", I'd guess it's likely this was a local company the owner worked with to ship the gun back to Savage.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com