Originally Posted by pacecars
And modern hunters will find it hard to believe he shot a leopard with an iron sighted rifle

Hunting is a game that is not played well if there is no risk to both participants.

An interesting book that many of my septuagenarian compadres may have read from the Outdoor Life Book Club titled, A SPORTING CHANCE: Unusual methods of hunting by Daniel Pratt Mannix. It was published in the mid 1960s (I still have my copy) and I know my friend had it in his outdoor sporting library. I also know he was a TR fan and I suspect if Art Savage had an African caliber with a straight walled case in the Model 99 that was readily available he may have gone that route, but, I cannot say for certain. I do know he was target fixated on taking a lever action to Africa and I do not believe that he ever considered anything else. But when he found an advertisement for the Winchester 1895 take-down model in .405 WCF in the SHOTGUN NEWS years ago the die was cast and the ammunition search was on. So while big game hunting in Africa was the goal there were many other hunts going on in preparation for the trip.