Originally Posted by UpThePole
Suggest you go back and read the whole thread before proffering advice.

Short answer ---- it's all explained and fixed.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Ugh that is one ugly mount.

Guess I'll go with the modified Leupold someone here is said to make.

Need info. Thanks.

The holes are only ugly if you judge them by the aesthetics of today. You bought a period rifle with period features. Nobody set out to destroy its future desirability when they mounted the scope. In fact it could be argued they were forward thinking in mounting glass on a rifle during a tiime when open and peep sights ruled the day. Those holes would not bother me at all and here's an alterntive solution. There is a replica Wever 330 being made for the "sniper" guys who are into milsurp. I suspect the optics in the replicas are far better than what the originals had. You could always put a Weaver side mount back on that 99 and go with a modern replica of the 330. And that would look like the hot setup that 99 was back when the holes were drilled.

Need info. Thanks.

The holes are only ugly if you judge them by the aesthetics of today. You bought a period rifle with period features. Nobody set out to destroy its future desirability when they mounted the scope. In fact it could be argued they were forward thinking in mounting glass on a rifle during a tiime when open and peep sights ruled the day. Those holes would not bother me at all and here's an alterntive solution. There is a replica Wever 330 being made for the "sniper" guys who are into milsurp. I suspect the optics in the replicas are far better than what the originals had. You could always put a Weaver side mount back on that 99 and go with a modern replica of the 330. And that would look like the hot setup that 99 was back when the holes were drilled.

Need info. Thanks.

That’s one of the best discriptions of how I feel about the Noske side mount on my 1928 K. People said what A Hole put a side mount on an engraved rifle? Even back then? It came out of big cattle country. I like to think the guy wasn’t an A Hole. I think he was a wealthy rancher that ordered up the finest rifle available at the time, an engraved K, special wood, take down, 300S, then he put one of the top shelf scopes of the day on it. I bet none of the ranch hands second guessed what he did? I bet none of his wealthy friends second guessed him either.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin