Gnoahhh, thanks very much for that excellent advice! It is what I needed to hear.

Based on all of the advice here, and everything else I have read, I have come to realize that an old .32-40 is not what I really need for the shooting I enjoy.

I think that I need to stray away from the original 1885s, and get a Uberti 1885 in .45 Colt. In regular factory loads, it is what I am looking for, and it can be maxed out fairly high in the Uberti and still be safe.

It will take a little looking to find brass, but in the past, I have seen new Starline come up for sale at a fairly reasonable price every three weeks or so (i.e., randomly).

I plan to just use the simple Lee Classic Loader, and a hand primer press.

As for weighing power, many years ago I used the Classic Loader to load shotgun shells, and used the proper sized plastic scoop for the power, carded off before loading. I weighed the first scoop, but none after that and had no problems.

I realized that rifle and pistol cartridges are different, but I wonder if anybody just uses the scoop method on something like a .45 Colt. After weighing and confirming the first scoop of power, I would load several, and then weigh every completed round to make sure they all weigh the same.

Thanks,
Mannyrock