tcp;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day is looking to be a good one in your section of the midwest and all who matter to you are well.

With the understanding that if someone else tells you I'm wrong, I recommend listening to them, I'd say this about that.

When we were making cabinet parts and doors, we didn't want the centers of the tree or any heartwood as it wouldn't stain or machine the same, even if the coloration wasn't too, too bad. Usually though the coloration wasn't the same either so there was that.

While I've only made a handful of stocks starting with a board, from that I'd suspect that I want the grain to be as stable as possible so the wood doesn't wander as I remove material during the stock making process as well. Hopefully that makes sense?

I've had some factory stocks just keep bending in a particular direction and relieving them just meant they'd keep going in that direction. I suspect it was either improperly dried or just "one of those" blanks that is going to do that and we all hope not to get when we're making a stock.

Again if someone else has better info, I'd go with their opinions.

Good luck with the tree regardless and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"