Back to the Hunting July 18, 19, 20

Thanks for the comments........ and the offer to carry my stuff. Did I mention we had a lot of luggage. LOL

July 18: Black wildebeest is on the ticket today. We go out to the other farm where we had seen the good bull a few days earlier on July 14th. We end up locating a good bull in the same area. It may have been the same bull since the bulls tend to be territorial. We set up an ambush in the middle of the plains near one of the only big bushes. This must have been a frequently used spot because there was wildebeest poop everywhere. Eventually the bull fed closer to us. I don't think they have the greatest eyesight since they tend to hang out with other animals that serve as their look out. Anyway, I was set up and steady, no wind today, and was able to take a shot at 400 yards and make a good hit. The animal stayed on its feet and ran in a short circle which actually brought it closer to us. I don't think it knew where we were. It was hurt bad and was going to go down but it was still on its feet. Since it was still up, I took my first and only Texas heart shot of my hunting career. A 280 yard Texas heart shot put the wildebeest down for good. Black wildebeest, standing broadside looking left, 400 yards hit lungs, 280 Texas heart shot finisher 300 win mag July 18, 2022 9:30 am. Pictures, gutting etc soon followed. Of note, the Texas heart shot entrance hole was almost exactly 1 inch below the animals butt hole. I was pleased with the shot placement but will continue to try to avoid this shot in the future. I made an exception because the animal was wounded. This was the second accubond that was recovered that I have in my possession. Perfect mushroom shape. Back to camp we go.

That afternoon was spent riding and glassing for a good Gemsbok bull. We did not have any luck locating a bull that we wanted to take. We also knocked off a little early due to the PH needing to do some family obligations. Dinner that night was Zebra steaks and it was fabulous. I was some of the best steak I have ever had. The flavor was very mild and the meat was really tender. Lions and the French are on to something. I also heard horse was Geronimo's favorite meat. Fabulous dinner conversation and then off to bed. It was going to be an early morning to make up for an early quitting time today.

July 19: Up early and out before sunrise. It is a beautiful morning. Gemsbok and Zebra are the plan for today. Momma wants 2 Zebra. 1 for a wall hanging and another for other projects (pillows, handbags, seat covers, etc.) The pressure is back on. LOL. We locate a herd of approximately 40 zebra but are having difficulty getting close to them. I hear they have eyes like an 8X binocular. We eventually decide on a strategy. The PH and I get set up near some bushes for cover and the driver and 1 of the skinners are going to try to drive the heard close enough to our hide for a shot. We try this a couple of times but the zebra are not cooperating. They are staying several hundred yards away. My PH is getting frustrated and the zebra have run off from us and the skinner a ways. We are thinking about trying something else when the zebra start moving our way. For some unknown reason they start coming right towards us. I think they have no idea were we are and are trying to get to the area where we are. Anyway, we are on top of a small rise and they come up over a ridge about 175 yards away. They are in a large group and I don't want to risk hitting another animal due to a pass through. I am on the sticks, sitting and steady. Eventually a zebra comes up by itself slightly following the main herd. The PH says to shoot it. It is ranged at 150 yards, so I do aiming for the chevrons. Zebra #1 broadside walking to the left at 150 yards. Stood for maybe 30 seconds then went down where it stood. DRT 300 win mag July 19, 2022 9:30 am.

At the shot, Zebra #1 stops walking and just slumps with its head down. I prepare to shoot it again since it is still standing. My PH says no, it is going down. He actually says get ready to shoot another zebra. The herd has run off about another 100 yards and stopped. They are milling around and uncertain what just happened. They are confused. I am trying to pick out another Zebra but the herd is all bunched up and moving around. I am also trying to watch Zebra #1 which is to my right. It is still slumped and about to go down. Eventually, more like less than a minute, a zebra separates from the herd to the right. Both the PH and I see this and he gives the go ahead to shoot it. Range is 255 yards. Aim for the chevrons again and send one. Solid hit but it steps back into the herd. They mill around for just a second then decide to run off. Or at least all but 1 run off. Zebra #2 is standing there slumped up as well. We quickly confirm that it is the same zebra I just shot. It is confirmed so I send another and Zebra #2 is down all within less than a minute, probably 30 seconds. Zebra #2 broadside going left 255 yards, 2 shots both lung DRT 300 win mag July 19, 2022 9:30 am. Check back on Zebra #1 and it is down. 3 shots, 2 Zebra all solid lung hits and all down within steps of where they were shot in less than a minute. We are all excited. Zebra #1 is a medium sized male zebra. Zebra #2 big. He is a large male zebra. Pictures and gutting commence. Zebra #1 is loaded by 4 of us. They call for reinforcements for Zebra #2. Since I am helping, we attempt to get Zebra #2 in the truck. With some considerable effort and planning, we are able to get Zebra #2 loaded just as reinforcements arrive. The truck is seriously loaded down, that is a lot of meat. Back to camp we go. Momma is happy with the 2 different sizes of zebra. Lunch is whatever was packed in the cool box and leftover zebra steaks. The zebra steaks are just as good today as they were yesterday.

Lunch is quick and we are back at it. Gemsbok time again. We ride and glass a good part of the afternoon but to no avail. They tell me there are Gemsbok here and we will find them. A front has come through and it has gotten really windy. I have my first, and only miss today. I have asked to shoot a black Springbok if we get the chance. We locate one as we are out and I take a shot. I believe the range was around 350 yards but I don't recall. Either way, I missed. The wind is higher than I realized and the PH says I shot just in front of his chest. We discuss it and decide the wind blew me enough to miss. Dang it. I hate the wind.

The Gemsbok are hiding well on the 8500 acres. Eventually late in the afternoon we locate a good bull. We make a stalk and I get into position. The herd has probably 20 animals in it. They are milling around and walking and I am having extreme difficulty picking out the correct one to shoot. To quote: "He is 7th from left, he has one behind him, he is behind one now, he is now 6th from right.........." Argh. They all look alike to me. I understand that is how herd animals are to confuse their predators. It is working well. We are all frustrated. Finally he ends up standing broadside looking left and I get on him at 260 yards. I shoot and forgot about the wind, gut shot. Damn it. The wind. He takes off and the chase is on. He breaks away from the herd and stops momentarily. I get another shot at 310 yards. We hear the hit but he remains on his feet and takes off again. We are back in the truck and following him. He gets into a thick, brushy creek bed and we are attempting to locate him. We are cruising the edge of the brush attempting to locate him. We eventually spot him laying on the opposite bank in some thick brush watching us. He runs but does not go far. When he stops again, I have my .375 Ruger ready and shoot him square on his front shoulder as he is slightly quartered to me. That ends that. Gemsbok standing broadside looking left 260 yards (gut shot) 310 yards 2nd shot, unknown hit. 300 win mag. Finisher to shoulder 75 yards in creek bed 375 Ruger July 19,2022 4:00 pm. We are glad that we got him and he is a beautiful animal but I am disappointed in my shooting. He is squarely gut shot. I messed up the first shot. We did not find the second shot. I will look when i get the hide back. The finisher was square on the shoulder. Pics and gutting follow. He died on the creek back so the PH and driver are happy. They are able to back the truck up and slide him straight into the back. Easiest loading job ever. I guess that is something to be happy about. Beautiful animal, it just did not go down as planned. I don't recall what dinner was but I am sure it was good. All the meals at the camp were delicious. Of to be for tomorrow is my last hunting day.

July 20: The last hunting day: We are going to wrap the hunting up today. I have a blesbok, impala and gemsbok left on my trophy list. I am good on the blesbok. I would like another impala. And after yesterday, I don't want another Gemsbok. I have talked to Richard a few days earlier and am going to swap a Gemsbok for a black Springbok.

We are out and hunting early today. We find a black springbok fairly early. There are at least 2 on the 8500 acres. This one is a nice ram. We try to ambush him, stalk him and drive him......all to no avail. He is on to us and is doing a great job avoiding getting near us. He eventually leaves the country and the game is over. No chance on him.

We go out cruising and driving again looking for impala and another black springbok. Apparently male springbok stake out territories and we found the other black springbok on his territory. We put on a stalk and get to within 295 yards of him. He is aware of us and is playing peek a boo behind some bushes. He wants to run but does not want to leave the females. Any closer and he will run. I get set and steady. He continues playing peek a boo and I get my nerves in check. He finally decides we are not a threat and comes out from behind a bush at 295 yards. He is broadside. I get the OK to shoot and send it. He is down. A perfect shoulder shot at 295 yards. Did I mention there was no wind and that I hate wind? Springbok #3 (black one) broadside looking left. 295 yards 300 win mag DRT July 20, 2022 10;00 am. Pictures and lots of congrats go around. He has a broken horn and they know this springbok. Anthony, the driver and other PH has been trying to kill this animal for a couple of years with several different clients and has been unsuccessful.............until today. This is an old, broken up, tough animal. I am very happy with him and even happier with the shot. I feel a little redeemed. We gut him and load him up.

We are headed back to camp but are going to see if we can find another impala ram on the way. We get lucky and trip over anther nice ram. We have seen several over the trip but they all had "soft bases" which apparently means they are not fully formed and will shrink when they get to the taxidermist. Anyway, I get set up and get the OK to shoot. Impala #2 standing broadside looking left 150 yards 300 win mag DRT July 20, 2022 10:55 am. A perfect shot and he drops. I am elated. Beautiful animal, perfect shot, but I am done with my hunting. I savor the moment for a bit. I can't believe I am here..... I can't believe it is over. Pictures, congrats, gutting and then back to camp. I have time for a nap this afternoon. After a short nap, we continue lounging around and just enjoying everything. We get our luggage organized and ready to go for in the morning. I settle up with Richard for some items we brought him and some items we bought from him along with tips. Everyone always asks about tips. My answer is do what you can afford and you think is right. I used a tipping guide that I found on the AfricaHunting.com. You can find it by Google. It made the most sense to me and I used it as my guide, but you do you. I do think if you can ask what they need before you go over and take those items with you that would be appreciated. I took a set of hand held radios over with me. If I knew what they needed I would have brought more. It is difficult to get stuff from the US because it gets stolen in route. Dinner was another braai. I believe it was Kudu this time. It was fabulous. Off to bed as tomorrow was another early day.

Next: Back to PE, Playing tourist and then home.