quote=RiverRider]
Originally Posted by RiverRider
According to an old Gun trader's Guide with yellowing pages, the 742 was offered in 6mm Rem, .243 Win, .280, .30-06, and .308 Win. There is no reference to .270 Win in the 742.

MD, since the 6mm Rem is rated at 65,000 psi currently, but that long ago the copper crusher pressure measurements would have been used (I assume). Were the 6mm Rem C.U.P numbers the same as the .280 C.U.P rating when that system was in use?

Answered my own question, remembered my old Lyman 46th manual lists pressures in c.u.p.

The .280 appears to have been limited to 50,000 c.u.p. and the 6mm Rem limited to 52,000 c.u.p.

So, if the .280 was set to 50,000 because of the action strength limitations of the 742, how is it that Remington saw fit to chamber the same rifle in 6mm Rem at 52,000 c.u.p.?

That's why I think there's some other reason. And maybe it WAS because Remington wanted the cartridge to operate at lower pressures from the outset, but the question remains, "why?"[/quote]

The 6mm Remington is smaller in diameter and less bolt trust than the 280 would be my guess

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first