Originally Posted by cooperfan
Going on a Mule deer hunt in early November this year (Montana). I need a Bipod for my Mauser 30-06 M12 rifle to shoot in prone position.

Living in Michigan, I've never had a need for a Bipod, so need some advice on which one to order.

I want it to connect to the swivel stud, and still be able to attach a sling

what size (height) do I need?

thanks

Coop

Before I went on a black bear hunt last year, my guide told me to expect shots out to 400 yards. I bought a Harris bipod, then spent several months testing it on a Model 700 in 308 and a Model 70 in 30-06. I also compared it to a target-type sling and shooting over a day pack on the range.

Here’s what I learned:
• Installing a bipod and shooting well with it are not the same thing. You have to learn how to use it.
• Check your zero, then confirm it. The bipod may cause your zero to shift from your bench zero.
• Learn to load the bipod (dig in the legs and lean forward into it) consistently. This affected my group size and increased the perception of recoil, even with the 308.
• Practice going from carry to firing. You’ll probably carry with the bipod folded. If you plan to dial for elevation, then you’ll need to deploy the bipod, get into position, dial, and fire. Identify the best order for those steps and practice so you don’t fumble when the time comes. The first time you try to do these things in a hurry should not be when you have a trophy buck in your sights. Use a shot timer so you know how long each step takes, then work to cut down the time.
• Practice firing multiple shots quickly. Dry fire is OK, but recoil definitely affects your speed and you need to learn to manage it. As noted above, recoil seemed sharper from the bipod, which slowed down my rate of accurate fire, especially beyond 250 yards. That matters because you’ll likely use the bipod only for longer shots. The shot timer helps you see your progress.
• Practice magazine changes—you may not empty your rifle at a buck, but he could drop from view after a shot or two. That’s a great time to swap in a full magazine in case he gets up and starts to move again. Again, use the shot timer to understand and improve your performance.
• Prone may not be available. Train to shoot from sitting and over brush piles, stumps, rocks, and other natural objects. These positions don’t have to be comfortable since you won’t be in them for long, but they do have to be solid. Also, watch your POI as you shoot from these positions. It may shift a bit if they affect how you load the bipod.
• Practice offhand with the bipod installed—you may get a closer, faster shot than you expect.

After comparing bipod, sling, and day pack, I realized that I shot best over the pack. I sold the bipod and trained on the pack. When the time came, I killed a smallish bear at 353 yards with one shot from prone over a brush pile.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.