I was at a new to me shop today and found an interesting rifle. I would like to give what info I know and for those of you with way more Marlin knowledge than me, ask you to share that in this thread.

The rifle is a model 336SC in 32 Win. SPL. It has an unaltered waffle top with a 24 inch barrel and half magazine. The iron sights less the hood, are in place and in good shape. The black Marlin butt plate and spacer are in place with no cracks. The wood and metal are in 75%+ condition with no rust, pitting or major dings. There is heavy blueing loss in the spots where it would be carried and handled. The bullseye hole is there, but it's missing. No swivel studs have been put in the gun's stock or forend. The bore is clean and the rifling sharp. The action is butter smooth and it's got the best trigger I've ever felt on a Marlin. The serial# Jxxxxx indicates a 1952 date of manufacture. The serial # is on the bottom tang under the lever.

I almost bought it, but I wanted to step back and investigate it more and seek your opinions. With it's unaltered waffle top and age, many would see it as more of a collectable. I am not a collector for value. I see this rifle as a well used hunter that has plenty of life left in it to hunt. For me at this point in life, that means drilling and tapping it for a scope mount and installing sling swivel studs.

What would you pay for a rifle of this type and description? Would you D&T it? Another consideration is the chambering. I know it's harder to find, but I just happen to know where some factory ammo is. Would this caliber stop you from buying the rifle?

Any comments or recommendations on the rifle, cartridge chambering or modifications would be appreciated.