Thanks, John. Let's make it happen!

In that brief time when the .30-40 was king of the .30 caliber hill, astute gunners did rate it as more desirable than the smaller .30's. It's just that A) Krags weren't available to the general public, and wouldn't be until well after the adoption of the '03 Springfield, and B) the few commercial guns that shot it were heavy and somewhat clumsy compared to the '94 Winchester and M1899 Savage and their "lesser" chamberings (sorry Bre'r Kaywoodie, I respect your fascination with the M95 Winchester!). The only alternative was the Winchester M1885 High Wall in .30-40 and it wasn't a lightweight gun either with its #2 or #3 weight 28-30" barrel, and by then single shots for hunting use were becoming obsolete overnight anyway.

Be still my beating heart when you mention a .25 Krag! Ballistic twin to the .257 Roberts, especially in a hell-for-stout High Wall.

A 6mm Lee-Navy straight-pull is on my short list. I know where there's a minty original Navy-issue one, with bayonet, whose owner thinks I should own it - if we can reach an accord.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty