Folks,

Erich Mietenenkorte, one of the top smallbore rifle silhouette shooters in the country, shared this diagram he did of a test on the range at Ridgway PA this summer right before the Lapua Super Shoot. I always considered mirage something that the long distance shooters worried about but this certainly makes it clear to me that having a spotter to call where the bullet lands is very helpful even in smallbore at 100 meters. It's clearly not a big deal over a normal hour range session, assuming you're sighted in when you start, but it does a play factor when shooting matches that start at 0900 and don't finish until 1600.

- The smallbore range at Ridgway (no e!) faces southwest - By summer the rams are in the shade from the trees about 1600.
- The range is all dirt a consistent color
- July temps in the 70's to start and 80's to finish and clear weather
- The rifle was clamped into a rest, under the shade for the whole test
- Scope was Leupold 25X (with sunshade)
- The ram target (for you non-marksman that don't shoot silhouette wink are 6 1/2" x 5 1/4" and shot at 100 meters (offhand)
- He started at 0700 with the crosshairs on the ram bull and recorded the new position of the cross-hairs as the schedule on the right side dictated.

By 1000 if you're getting a good hold on the center of the animal you're likely missing high (or maybe not with my wobble! cry) . Is this predictable for all seasons and light? No clue, but something to think about when you go to do some precision rimfire shooting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's an overhead of the range in the upper right behind the clubhouse but I included their other ranges out to 1000 yards just because it's such an awesome place to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated