Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I just sold the old gun mount I had on my 1942 Ford GPW last week. Sold the jeep in around 2014.
I'm not a military vehicle expert, I wasn't aware that Ford made Jeeps but I should have known the way all the US manufacturing geared up for the war effort.

Yup. They made oodles of em. And on the early models they had the Ford logo stamped on the back behind the spare tire rack. Government made Henry quite stamping that big logo there so he retaliated by putting that Ford script “F" on every bolt head on the vehicle.

Willys were called an MB
Fords were called a GPW
And I can’t for the life of me remember the third company that made Jeeps and their nomenclature.

Don't quote me on this Bob, but if IRC, I believe besides Trucks ( Duece & a Halfs), Studebaker also made Jeeps... I don't recall to what level.

When I was a kid, my granddad had one of those Willies sold thru Sears during the late 40s and/or early 50s. I was my grand dad's favorite car, that he ever owned. I remember him working on it and "helping" before starting school in 58, but I seem to remember the motor was a flathead 4 cylinder like I've seen in surplus military jeeps...

When I was in High School and early College, you could still buy a surplus Jeep in parts packed in cosmoline, for like $50 that had never been used but packed to be shipped overseas...Help a friend assembly two of them in my early college years...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez