Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Maximum surface contact is the goal with lapped rings. I've never noticed a different when fielding the rifle, but when initially setting one up and getting it mounted, lapped rings let the scope move smoother than unlapped rings for sure. At least that's what I've experienced. I don't purposefully buy lapped rings, if they come to me lapped, fine. I won't lap them either. YMMV.

Not just that. Alignment of the holes through the rings a goal, so when the rings are tightened they do not bind the scope.

I thought that's what alignment bars are for?
Alignment bars are only used for checking alignment. Mathman is correct. Also, if you buy rings that have already been lapped, that can create issues with your set up because they were lapped on a different rifle that may have had alignment issues. Now your are introducing alignment issues into your set up. Not really a good idea to buy rings that have been lapped for a different rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA