gnoahhh;
Top of the morning to you sir, though I suppose you're well into the day already - but regardless I hope it's going well for you.

Thanks for your reply to the OP, in my experience you're correct.

My experience as a by the way, is that after too much reading and too little sleep no doubt, I decided that I could not live without having a nearly new 96 Swede military barrel grafted onto a 98 action.

When I discussed the project with greydog here on the 'Fire who is a retired well respected gunsmith, he outlined exactly how he'd done it previously, but again he was retired.

I did find a smith who I had used before, who agreed to do the job for a quoted price and so I shipped the action to him.

The work done was to lathe down the threaded portion of the military barrel and then thread it for a section of barrel which is also bored and threaded internally. That "adapter" is then silver braised in place and then threaded to fit a 98 action. The barrel then gets a new chamber cut and it's installed onto the action... Easier typed out than done apparently....

Upon completion of the job however, the smith sent me a note saying that the job had taken "a lot" longer than he'd thought and I'd have to send up more money in order to complete the transaction.

Anyways, it was what was and I did get the windmill I was tilting at sir, but cheap, inexpensive and logical progression of events were not part of any conversation regarding that project!!! laugh laugh laugh

One supposes that it's perhaps easier to take as time goes on and it does make for a decent story too I guess? wink

So under the thought that "almost anything is possible but sometimes they're less feasible and often then they will not be economical" therein lies my tale.

All the best to you this fall sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"