Originally Posted by gnoahhh
For my money, 3031 is the one to choose from that list. It's what I've religiously stuck by for .30-30/.303 for full-tilt loads over the last 40-50 years. Are there better powders? Quite possibly (I would bet on CFE-223 for one), but I'm quite happy with how 3031 has treated me and I shan't argue with success, nor do I care to continue whipping a race horse while he's 50 feet ahead of #2 when approaching the finish line.

The area I feel the .30-30/.303 offers an even more interesting application than as a deer hunting round is as a short to mid-range target cartridge. With the myriad of suitable .30 bullets available (jacketed and cast) and the myriad of suitable powders (RL-7, 4227, Unique, 2400, 4759, etc.), the possibilities are endless - and more fun than enough awaits an intrepid shooter/experimenter. Put the .30-30 (or .303, if you have cornered the market on brass as a Californian I know has done) in a good single shot or bolt action rifle and prepare to have your life changed.

What would be some starting loads for 165s and 180s with 3031? I can't find any specific loading data for either bullet.

BP...