Gents,

I know some folks have had issues with Miles Gilbert epoxy in the past... mainly saying it didn't cure as hard as other brands. Until now, my luck had always been good with MG. (5-6 rifles an no issues.) Was re-bedding the tang area of another rifle over the weekend (was never 100% happy with how it turned out the first time... was perfectly functional but had a couple bubbles... and finally got back around to it) and the epoxy just refused to totally set. I knew something was up when the cup of leftover epoxy I use to gauge drying time was still soft on top 12 hours later. Let it sit for 24, no change. 48 hours later it was still "almost done" with the ability to press your finger nail in. It's hot enough outside that I think if it was ever going to finish, it would have by now. Bummer.

The silverlining is that because it never truly dried, I was able to peel it out with my fingernail and it came up in big strips (sort of like almost hardened bubble gum)... so no permanent mess. The question now is what to switch to... I have JB Weld but I'm not sure if it can be dyed? I've never used Marine-Tex but everyone seems to like it? (Can it be dyed also?) A putty seems more convenient than the traditional epoxy, but the Devcon is also significantly more expensive than even the Marine-Tex. Recommendations?

Thanks y'all.