Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by 1minute
Most excellent! The tag is the tough part here in Oregon. Been trying since 1975. Once in a lifetime for us unless one has the $$ for the auction tags. A bit frustrating when kids from my Hunter Ed classes pull a tag with their first application.

That is one big kid too.

Let us know how the sheep scores as table fare, please.

Update on the ram for table fare. He is easily the best eating critter we have enjoyed so far. Had jerky from eye of round and it was actually quite tender and flavorful. The tenderloins cooked medium rare in mushrooms, butter and green peppers were amazingly tender and delicious. Packed the ribs out and they had a wonderful slightly greasy delicious fat on them, possibly cooked them a bit long though.

The first round roast has had great texture and flavor also. And lastly, I cut this ram very carefully to yield as many steaks and roasts as I could get. That left about 10 pounds of ground. Used a pound for tacos and again, great flavor. Closest I can describe it to is a very high quality beef cut. It is a shame that tags are so hard to find for sheep as I can now understand why some tribes of indians focused their efforts on killing and eating sheep.

I know several guys that put in for ewe tags just for the meat. Ewe tags aren't too hard to get and the meat is great.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!