Kansas's blackpowder season opened yesterday. As usual, it was hot with forecasted temps in the low to mid 90's all week.

While pre-season scouting we've seen little deer activity, few bucks, and no real decent bucks.

I spent the morning glassing does, and mid-day sweating. shocked

Around 4 o' clock in the afternoon my oldest son called to check in but mostly he just complained about the heat. laugh He'd seen a few bucks and does but nothing exciting.

He was glassing a new section of WIHA (Walk-In-Hunting Area) that was rolling CRP with 3 overgrown dried creek beds and suggested I drive over. I took the northeast side, while he drove around and came in from the southwest.

Working along the northern most creek bed, glassing all the way, within 30 minutes I saw antler tips in the field.

A chamber filled with 35 grains of Triple 7 FFFg and a .456 Kaido 220 grain conical went clean through with the ol' 'cap 'n ball' pistol @50 yards.

A 70 yard death run and, of course, he died down in one of the dry creek beds (which was about 10' deep). Good thing one of my boys was there to help me get him out. laugh

Not the biggest, but it was hot and he was standing there. grin

Now on to bowhunting a Missouri buck that made a fool of me last year. blush

Man, that's deeper and steeper than it looks. eek
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]