Originally Posted by iskra
I'm admittedly COC prejudiced (Duh - Ya think! :)) Yet most of my bolts are COO since particularly in sporting context, such the way of the world in respect of my primary interests through the seventies era and again in the nineties in context of the FN production era of Winchester Classic CRF line. The COO or COC really does come down to personal preference/prejudice.

A short side note concerning the Schultz & Larsen rifle mentioned above. A Danish firm making high quality rifles as unable to achieve the production numbers to be competitive in the American market as principally targeted in the fifties under Phil Sharpe as importer or the sixties under the mighty Norma Precision Firm backing. The S&L, An expensive rifle of aft lug locking design and even to date perhaps moved from largely "unknown" to largely "past era exotic". The first models of the fifties were COC, a transitional model and wrapping with two COO models in sixties era.

With the milsurp market of the American fifties, the COC action was established as 'almost exclusively' associated with military design and surplus context. The interwar Remington Model 30 earlier years were the proliferant COC design featuring the civilianized Model 17 Enfield action. To my tastes, great rifles. The S&L were exotically partially hand-crafted, of great quality of materials and workmanship. I congratulate anyone owning one! I have five, all acquired as "also ran unknowns" and such prices reflected!

Thanks those of you who put up with another dissertation! smile
Best!
John

Good points John. However, I don't know if it is exactly "personal preference". My actual preference is to the newer rifles with COO. But when it comes to my favorite m1917, I'd rather people just leave them alone and leave the COC feature. Sure, change the crappy trigger to a Timney sportsman, like I've done a dozen times. That is a necessity, not just personal preference there, but a damn necessity!!!!! Now, I grew up with a COC sporter m1917 and I got used to it. They work great, but do I prefer it over a Winchester model 70 pre 64 or Classic? Not hardly. My m1917 with COO works perfectly and it feeds better than any Model 70 I have in the safe. There's beauty in that for sure. My BSA model E 308 Norma also feeds well, but it retains the original COC feature. It works great. Guys that have never had one, can't appreciate it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA