Dad was on blood thinners and insisted on continuing to hunt. My response was to carry Quik-clot and a PLB. Quik-Clot was exothermic and there was the danger of burns and the caution of proper removal by a doc. I was accepted the risks and was prepared to use it in a life threatening bleed before I activated the PLB to call for the calvary. That curad product is labeled for "minor bleeding".

Back when I had to reason through how to keep dad hunting there were different traumatic bleed products. I believe Quik-Clot was mineral based. There was a chitin based product (think insect shells) and the third used fibrin, a component of blood that contributes to hemostasis (very expensive). Quik-Clot was the most accessible so that's was rode in the pack. I remember reading the trials for the military that included lacerating a pig's liver (pig's bleed out in minutes under normal circumstances). The quik-clot stopped the traumatic bleed.

Wound seal sounds like a promising product. I'll have to look up the research behind it.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09/16/22.