We've had five in our family, the two oldest, no longer with us, both went 16+ years. My son has a male now and I have two females. My oldest female, now six, spent her 2nd birthday in Alaska on a six week hiking tour. She has been on more flights than many people I know, mostly sleeping on a lap under a blanket during flight. Has flown to Alaska, Montana and most recently Colorado. We mostly vacation by car now since we have two and flying is more difficult with them since they are not service animals. We hiked over 120 miles in Colorado over three weeks and she was there every step of the way. Dachs (badger) Hund (dog) are fearless for their size, not always to their benefit. I like most all dogs in general but I do agree that the choice of a dog must fit your lifestyle. Big, working dogs need more space, Dachshunds require little space and are easy to transport, they don't take up much room. They are great companions with lots of personality and will hunt/track if you will let them.