Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wow! Way cool! Do the goats need to be tied up or will they stay close by? Can’t wait for the rest of the adventure!

The goats will stay close. I don’t have to tie them up at night but any time I leave them loose I wake up to hear them walking around and eating things, so I prefer that they stay tied up at night. I never leash them when hiking or when hanging around camp.

Fascinating. So they just follow your lead down the trail?

Do you transport them in a horse type trailer? Are using goats as pack animals somewhat common?

Can’t wait for more! One of the best threads ever

Right, they just follow. I bottle fed them since they were about 2-3 days old. I don’t use a horse trailer normally, 5 fits ok in the back of my F150 with a stock rack around the sides. When I had 7 it was a bit much and the truck would squat really badly.
I wouldn’t say they are common, but in my my circles they seem more common as pack animals than llamas. They are much friendlier but hate water and are smaller than llamas. So while each individual can’t pack as much, they seem easier to handle to me as you don’t have to physically touch them while hiking.

What species are the goats? I have fainting goats at home, not much use other than entertainment. We bought the male and female, they had a kid which we handled since birth and she is very social and agreeable to human touch, they others not as much.