I’ve killed several elk with different 150 gr bullets from a 7mm RM & much prefer the TTSX. These days I’m shooting 180 grain TTSX out of a 300 Weatherby that seems to anchor them a little better but they all died with the 150’s.

Elk react differently to the shot then deer sometimes showing very little sign of being hit. Don’t assume you missed because it didn’t go bang flop & certainly keep your eyes fixed on the animal you shot if it joins the herd going out of sight. My philosophy is that if they are still standing I’m still shooting.

With a good shot placement, no other hunters nearby, snow on the ground, no boundaries close your chances are good you will find it within a few hundred yards. If you anchor it in sight your chances go to 100%.

I had to stop my partners big gut shot cow last year since she had covered 200 yards & was almost at the ranch fence. He had knocked his scope mounts loose & off zero the day before & would have lost her. He kept shooting and missing and she would certainly have left public & started a painful process of getting permission & a long tracking job with no snow.