Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Yoder409
It would have been a whole lot MORE the right answer had more rifles been offered.

Put it in a Ruger and a CZ and see what would have happened.

There only ever were 30-some thousand Remington rifles built. The ammo is expensive because there's a small market for it AND it's a limited production run product.
Except it wouldn't work in any existing Ruger or CZ rimfire rifle. The pressure of the 5mm at 36,000 cup is too high for ordinary rimfire actions. Remington had to do some reengineering on their six lug rimfire action to make it work. Being a rimfire cartridge operating at that pressure required the whole case, including the rim be supported by the chamber and bolt face in order to contain it. They also needed to develop the unique sliding extractor/ejector assembly that slides into the left rear of the chamber alongside the case in order to help facilitate reliable extraction.

Eric from varminter.com built a 5mm Rem Mag on a CZ 452.
Maybe not the best idea at .357 magnum pressures in a rimfire case. There were reasons Remington didn't just straight up rechamber the 581 to 5mm and call it good and they were outlined above.

Yep. A new platform would have to created. But I think it could be done and SHOULD have been done.

The .17 WSM (at 33000) runs almost to 5mm Rem Mag pressures. Thinking something in .17 WSM could be made to handle the 5mm. Not outright, because I believe there's a difference in rim thickness or something. But along the same lines. Maybe just a different bolt face.
At this point I think I'd rather just see a 5mm WSM brought to market.