Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by horse1
I think of Huskema as being a specialty scope similar to Shepherd. Some will love them, some will profess hate for them, most will never actually own either.

I went the Shepherd route just short of 20yrs ago, shot it for about a year. Then I tried the custom reticle option from Leupold. They both taught me some things, and prompted me to learn more. One thing I learned that hasn't since changed is that I prefer a generic MOA turret so that I can change any component, or swap the scope onto any rifle. I'm a sight-in and chart-print away from having what I need any time I decide to make any changes whatsoever.

I see the allure clay, but I think most “hunters” find a good load, weather factory or and handload, and go kill shiit. Shooters/tinkerers on the other hand might get sick buying new caps.

I know a couple guys that run em, and they love em. 👍

I don't disagree, however, with the shortages/availability of specific components/loaded ammo, flexibility has become even more of a good thing. Of course the "custom" turrets and "generic" holdover reticles are an awful lot more "universal" than many realize, especially inside say ~500-600yds.

What I've seen play out over and over is:

1. Someone decides they're going to gear up to shoot "long-distance", whatever that happens to mean to them.
2. They start out with a holdover reticle because ~500yds is WAY further than they'll ever shoot game
3. They soon graduate to a custom turret because they want to practice further to make the closer shots easier, similar to having an 80+yd pin on a bow but setting a personal limit below that line
4. They learn a bit as they shoot more
5. They begin to chase BC and/or velocity and their turret needs replacing, maybe more than once, and/or their holdover reticle no longer lines up they way they'd prefer.
6. Sooner or later, "Time" forces the need to learn generic MOA/MIL adjustments for an upcoming event/hunt due to ammo/components requiring one to shoot what they can obtain not necessarily what they ideally worked up to.
7. Most of the custom turrets get pulled an put in a drawer in favor of generics and a chart
7(b). Holdover reticle scopes get replaced with reliable tracking generic MOA/MIL optics and a chart somewhere

My intent of my original post was just informational regarding how I arrived where I did. I would have saved a significant amount of time and $$$$$ if I'd been more open to the experiences and advice of folks with a lot more experience that myself. That said, I might not have learned as much along the way so I don't regret going through the progression either.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.