They are more like a sound forwarding system. They can be much quieter than a regular muzzle brake. As we know, some muzzle brakes can be a lot more obnoxious than others. If you have one really noisy bastard, a linear comp may be for you. My girlfriend had an AR that she could not use because of the damn blast from the factory muzzle device. This was a Ruger AR 556 MPR I believe. I had to put a linear comp on it for her, just so she could shoot it. It did help that one tremendously. I don't think a lot of guys here use them, but I like them. I had an 18" barreled AR that was obnoxious as well and put a linear comp on it and it tamed it right down. I don't like getting gasses back in my face. Its hard on the eyes. Others are not bothered by it. I recently sold a 6x45 barrel and it had a Kaw Valley linear comp on it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm currently running one on my 6.5 creedmoor:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You are likely not going to get a lot of feedback on these, as I don't think they are popular here.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA