The Neck Shot?

I am in the the throngs of reading about Alaskan hunting in the 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s. There seems to be a prdominent reference to the “neck shot” and “ear hole” shot. Having grown up in the 50’s in Wisconsin I also remember the old timers touting the same types of rifle shots.

I quickly moved to bowhunting at an early age to remove myself from the crowded rifle season. I had no experience with this type of shot with a rifle and bowhunting taught me to put my arrow in the chest cavity.

As I aged and long since moved from Wisconsin to Colorado I again took to firearms for hunting (and love it by the way). Given my bowhunting experience my rifle shots have always been chest cavity shots.

I am curious as this type of shot as I have never tried it. I have always opted for putting the bullet in the “boiler room”.

I believe I understand the benefits, animal drops, less damage to the meat, etc. But what is the shot to the neck, where do you aim, how does it kill, and there seems to be a lot of chance of missing the right spot?

What is your experience with this type of shot?

Last edited by WagonMaster; 09/29/22.

Vietnam Veteran 68-69, NRA Life Member

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla