I have seen plenty of “old” guys, whatever that is, bitching about not seeing elk as they sit in their UTV. Same with a fair number of younger guys. They always have more excuses…You name it I have likely heard someone bitching about it. Too many tags given out. Not enough tags given out. Roads being closed. Roads not being closed. Too many predators. Too rough a winter. Not rough enough of a winter (to kill ticks and fleas, is the theory). Etc., etc.

I have seen no difference in the ages of hunters as it pertains to the number and type of complaints they have. It is fair to say older guys generally can’t get into the backcountry as well as they used to, however I see plenty of younger guys in absolutely horrid shape complaining about not seeing elk. There are also plenty of older guys who obviously didn’t take care of themselves complaining about the same things. The world continues to turn…

The one thing I get riled up about is folks (of any age or point status) applying for tags with little intention of hunting them. It is their right to do so, but frustrating. Doubly so with rare tags like sheep and the like. Why bother putting in and diluting draw odds? Plenty of tags are drawn in AK and only half those who draw even attempt to hunt it. Some of them may fill harvest tickets before that rare draw opened up, but many don’t bother to even try.