Originally Posted by WildHare
Saddlesore,
Where did you get the paper template you've got attached to the stock blank? Is it your own creation or something standard? I think if I did try to make a stock from a blank some kind of patterns would be a real help.

It is my own creation after studying a lot and trail/error. Several stock making books will give some basic dimensions and what to do and what not to do. I have 2-3 of the templates depending on what type of rifle or shotgun I was doing. I like Weatherby stocks and some of the features, I incorporated into mine. Shotguns and center fire rifles take different dimension and of course if you want to use iron sights or scopes.

You would still need to figure out what LOP, drop at comb,drop at heel, pitch and cast you need.

That particular stock was for a TC Black Diamond muzzle loader. Not meant to hijack this thread, but here is how it turned out. There is little bit of belly right in front of the trigger guard. I had to compromise because of the short height of the trigger group, action screws, and the need of wood for the ram rod.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/04/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles