Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by UpThePole
https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz,

You're a liar. The world record elk had main beams of 56 2/8 and the number 2 elk had beams of 59 inches. Neither of which would extend past an elk's hindquarters.

He said the antlers "hung over it's azz," which to many (if not most) hunters would mean "above his azz", not "beyond his azz." There's a big difference.

BS. He meant extending past the hindquarters and you know as well as I do that no elk has had antlers that long. Not one of the top 10 bulls in the books has an antler longer than 61 inches. You really expect me to believe he saw an elk in the field bigger than the bull Winters took in AZ or Plute took in CO?

Two points:

1) Top-10 record-book bulls don't necessarily have the longest main beams. There are some listed lower down that have 63-65 inch beams.

2) While that still doesn't mean the antlers "hung over the azz," I have seen quite a few bulls which could scratch the top of their azz when they tilted their head back, whether when bugling or just wanting to scratch their azz. For years I spent some time each fall photographing rutting elk, and not only saw this a few times, but saw far more bulls with "scratch marks" in the hair on top of their azz where they'd done so. Or maybe it was from admiring cows biting their azz?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck