Ruffed grouse numbers appear to be pretty good in MN this year, 14 hours of hunting with 67 ruffed grouse contacts and 42 woodcock contacts. The broods seem to have broken up already as only three of the contacts had 2 or more birds. Most of the grouse were pointed but the birds were running like pheasants making things tough for an inexperienced dog I took with. He broke and flushed the birds more than I cared for and it looks like some remedial training will be undertaken over the next couple days. Even my dogs broke a couple times but they only needed a quick reminder to remain staunch.

The woodcock were even running, at least as best they can do. I tried to take a video of one with the cell phone but there was too much leaf clutter that obscured the bird. It's comical to see them walk/run/waddle and every step they appear as if they will tip over.

The weather was warm with temps in the low 70s limiting hunting to a couple hours in the morning and another couple in the evening. That gave me time to do some gun and reloading components shopping which depleted my bank account some. Tomorrow highs in the 50s are predicted which I hope carries over to Sunday and beyond.

Water was scarce so I carried 4 liters on me. The larger ponds and streams had water but there was no puddles and trickles in the woods. That amount of water would get us through a couple hours as I water the dogs pretty heavily. With 3 dogs I would run one with the other two at heel. After 15-20 minutes I would swap out a fresh dog and rest the dog at heel. One can keep dogs pretty fresh doing this.

I'm looking forward to Sunday as I should be able to get out again. I should get in 2 1/2 days hunting. If the weather is cool that should mean full days.