I've owned and hunted two such rigs. One was a Remington m 7, with a special mount that extended out on the barrel. The other is my M1A Squad Scout. The Scout Rifle is a design that was to include the qualities of a battle rifle with those of a hunting rifle. On top of that, it was to be light and short. Something that a lone rifleman in hostile country would carry for both hunting and limited engagements.
Do they work ? Yes. With a good scope, like Leupold's 2X Scout Scope, they even work in bad light. But you can't see as far as say a scope with a 40mm objective set between 6 and 8X in bad light. Are they fast ? Yes. You would need a timer to really see any difference between a fast handling peep sighted rifle, or a rifle with a conventional scope mounted for fastest targeting. But it is there. Are they handy to carry ? With a fush, five round magazine, my Squad Scout is. It is a little on the heavy side, say 8 1/4 lbs. empty, but I like it.
Does it do anything better than a more traditional hunting or sniper rifle ? No. E