For some reason I can't get the pictures at the moment, they will probably show up at a later time. It has to do with my ancient iPad, it is an original without a camera and needs access to a modem to connect to the Internet.

Anyway, it sounds like a fun time was had by all (excepting the birds). That mix of blood in your dog isn't much of an issue as they are pretty similar in working and temperament. I was working with a GRP/English setter mix earlier this year, that one was not too sure of itself as I believe the setter bloodline was more of a bench dog than field. It's drive was adequate but it had some trouble pointing. That it hasn't seen much for birds didn't help either though the few weeks I had it the dog got put on a few dozen birds.

There ain't nothing wrong with preserve birds, a dog has to work them right too and if they are scratch birds, they may have seen more hunters so far than wild birds will see all year. I used to hunt scratch birds with a friend who had health issues limit their endurance. We hunted scratch birds every Monday morning. Those pen birds often did not want to fly and would regularly run out from points. The dogs soon became adept at handling running birds which carried over to wild birds.

I've been focusing on ruffed grouse and woodcock but a friend and I have picked up three roosters out of my back yard since the season opened on Saturday. I don't chase pheasants very seriously until the middle of November after deer season ends, most of the corn is harvested, and the marshes freeze - hopefully.