Originally Posted by 4th_point
I used Obenauf's on a pair of boots and the rubber rand started to peel from the leather soon after. Not the entire rand, but the edges near the leather. Did a quick internet search and saw many posts of the same. Not saying that Obenauf's is bad, but it might not be compatible with all boots.

I have used Sno Seal on various different makes of boots and never had a problem. Not saying that it is compatible with every boot though either.

So using the boot manufacturer's products might be a good place to start. That stated, I purchased one manufacturer's leather treatment creme and spray, and they simply sucked. Leather got soaked, which then overwhelmed the membrane. And most of these membrane lined boots take a long time to dry once wet. Sno Seal was my solution.

A dunk test in a container or sink is a good place to start, but walking in tall wet grass is even better. I think it is as bad or worse as any rain storm. If the leather gets soaked, it won't be long before the membrane gets overwhelmed.

I used Obenaufs on a pair of Kennetrek Hard Scrabble and the rands started lifting on the edges as soon s I started using them. A couple spots went deep from the edge of the rand like an air bubble. I’ve glued them now after my latest use and will see how they hold up. Not sure if there’s something in Obenaufs that reacts with Kennetreks rand glue or if it’s just a coincidence, but I recently bought an insulated pair of Kennetrek boots and bought their leather treatment just in case.