Originally Posted by pullit
Ok, I am not a big maple stock guy but I have one that I plan on using on a Remington 40X 22lr. It has a 3" wide forearm and some really nice tiger strip and figure to it.
My question is this, I want to make the tiger strips really pop and show the figure, but I also want the finish to be natural. I see several of the muzzleloader guys using aquafortis to make the grain pop, but it turns the stock a reddish/brown color.
I want the maple to be its natural color but can live with a light yellowish tone. I am thinking of using a Tung oil finish on the stock.

My question is 1) is there something out there that will make the grain pop without coloring the wood? 2) Is there a drawback to using Tung oil to finish the stock?

This is a bench rest rifle and will not be carried out in the weather (rain and snow)

Thanks
Sheister has it right on the water-based urethane. It actually adds a slight blue tint rather than yellow. It is also extremely hard and tough.

Depth is either natural or created by top coats. Stains kill depth. Dyes do not. Luster and chatoyancy are usually found in very old wood, not in fast growing and relatively recently cut wood.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.