There are a lot of options out there for carrying a rifle. Pick the one that fits your desire

I've used (and use) several methods like the Kifaru Gunbearer, the Sitka Gun Sling, strapping to the side of a pack (with and without the S Gun Sling), and the Eberlestock. When making tracks walking in before light and out after light or any time you're not going to access the rifle, the Eberlestock has been the simplest, easiest, and most comfortable for me. It rides well and balanced without sticking out to far above my head or to far below the pack. The barrel doesn't get in the beam of a headlamp. It's also nice to leave the rifle in it while pulling a pack up into or down from a treestand. The Eberlestock Gunrunner is a 1275 ci pack and weights just under 4 lbs so it's not overweight or oversized for a daypack.

The Gunbearer and Gun Sling are much better if you need to access your rifle and I often have one on the Eberlestock pack I use most if I'm going to be still hunting somewhere I'll need to be using two trekking poles. I have either a Gunbearer or a Gun Sling on all my packs that aren't Eberlestocks.

Lot's of good options. Pick the one that best fits what you're doing.