Originally Posted by Slope77
Ok, as long as I am digging this hole, I will add that these were all Win M70s. The 243 and 20” 7mm-08 had featherweight profile barrels. The 22” 7mm-08 had a standard profile barrel, stainless, synthetic stock.

The 22” 7mm-8 with a standard profile 22” barrel, synthetic stock, was a pig. No reason to carry that over a 270, 280. In fact, I have a 270 stainless featherweight that carries nicer than that ‘08. I’m talking for hunting.

I will catch heck, but I think short action cartridges should have 22”, light profile barrels. Otherwise, they have very few benefits, and velocity/energy disadvantages, over standard cartridges.

I think you are making up rules for yourself. You might shoot a short action with a long barrel to gain velocity and reduce muzzle blast. A 24" 7-08 will be quieter than your 22". And slightly faster. A 26" 7-08 will be much quieter than your 22" and a bit faster as well. Speed gains might be marginal or they might not.

And yes, run light profile barrels. You can run a #1 contour barrel in 24" or 26"

If you aren't going to run a suppressor the best thing you can do for your ears is run longer barrels. Also cartridges with different expansion ratios. A 26" 308 is quiet. A 26" 35 Whelen is also very quiet.