Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I put Nitto Ridge Grabblers on my RAM last spring. They are much better than the OEM Firestone HTs, but for when hauling a load. They get squirmy even at max air pressure. So, I am looking to replace them with something as aggressive, but also handles a load better. Basically, something that I can haul my camp trailer to camp and then go hunting and be confident is snow, ice and mud and be strong enough to haul hay or other heavy loads. Any suggestions.

Nitto Exo Grappler. They've got an extra ply in the sidewall, entirely different ride and stability vs. any of the 2-ply sidewall Nittos. I've used Trail Grapplers, Terra Grapplers, and I'm half-way through my 2nd set of Exo Grapplers on my '11 F250 diesel.

I just checked them out on the Nitto website. With that tight tread pattern how are they in mud and deep snow? They look like they would be good on light snow and shallow mud, but deep stuff is what I can expect while hunting.

I avoid deep mud like the plague, however, I did once drop all but the passenger's side rear into a mucky springtime field. Driver's front was up to the hub, passenger's front about half-way to the hub, passenger's rear was still on gravel. They self-cleaned pretty well while spinning fast and we drove out of the issue with a lot less drama than I was expecting.

In deep snow they work quite well. I ice-fish here in ND a fair amount and I have yet to be stuck out on a lake. I have been stuck on a couple of blown-in hard-packed section line prairie trails that were harder than I anticipated.

The Exo's are the best AT tire I've used on either of my 2 F-250 diesels ('06 6.0, '11 6.7) on packed snow/ice. No, they're not as good as studded or the super-soft "snow-tires" like Blizzak. That said, they were better for me than BFG AT KO/KO II, Nitto Trail/Terra Grappler, or Goodyear DuraTrac.

I'm thinking of east central MT and eastern MT where gravel is a foreign idea. It rained opening day of rifle season and from past experience we would just be hanging around camp since the roads would be almost impassable. But sometimes this happens when you are already 'Back There", and it is good to have good tires to get you out. I bought into the hype of the DuraTrac and found them wanting on my 1-ton diesel.