Originally Posted by sns2
Hey fellas. Gonna get me a quality axe. Small forest size. Have been trying to decide between Hultasfor or Gransfors Bruk. However, I am certainly open to a premium axe made in the USA.

Axe will be in my truck on hunting and fishing trips primarily as a fire starter if I’m being brutally honest. I just don’t want anymore disposable stuff. Only buying stuff my son will use after I croak.

Any suggestions? I’m all ears.
Buy a vintage used axe on eBay, select a weight and pattern that meets your needs best, watch a couple YouTube vids on installing a handle properly and you will have an axe that you cannot buy from modern production, made with the finest steel from a time when men made their daily bread with an axe. And still come out cheaper but better. You can still get Kelly Works, Keen Kutters and so on pretty cheap...with a quality that will never be equaled. Don't get an axe that is too far ground down from original size...the temper changes as you move in to the eye. Very old axes were quite hard on the business edge...loggers commonly carried a round stone to touch them up...a file would just slide over them.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.