...Continued

The next morning was opening day for the general season. With Trevin tagged out I wanted to take a couple kids up to the mountains to look for elk. I had an area scouted during bow season and had a pretty good idea where the escape routes would be with opening morning pressure. I am apparently not the only one that thinks that way and we got to share a parking area with a bunch of new friends. With vehicles near the trails to my preferred spots I had to go to my plan C choice. Still viable...but a lower percentage hunt due to the amount of area you could, or rather, could not see.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It turned out to be a non-issue as the snow and fog pretty well destroyed all visibility over 150 yards.

Kenna had been elk hunting for exactly 1/2 day last year and killed an elk. I think this was not as exciting for her as last year.

By ten nothing had moved through what we could see and my two frozen kidsicles had enough of hanging around in wet conditions with no visibility so we headed home.

It was time to start working on Trevin's deer which we had left hanging outside with the hide on. Processing is a big part of our hunting lifestyle and Trevin was all about it. Probably more so than most of my kids have been.

He is a quick study. With a few tips and a little help from dad and our skinning setup, he had the hide off and was ready to break it down.

I was taught to break off the rail so that is how we do it when they come in whole. I would do one side then he would do the other. By the time he is out of the house he should have some great skills.

We had to take a break at dinner to fry up some tenderloins. Black pepper, garlic salt, Tony Cacheres, egg and flour right into the hot oil. Killer

Continued...