Originally Posted by PJGunner
I am legally deaf in my right ear although some sound filters through. Speech in that ear, what little gets through is seriously distorted. My left ear still has about 60 percent hearing left.

I bought a pair of the Pro 300 muffed which are electronic and work like hearing aids for me. I've been using them on my hunts for quite a few years now, IIRC, the first time was my antelope hunt in 2012. Price was something like $120 IIRC. They weren't in too much of the way with my rifle's stock and they t sound quite well. I use them at the range as well. A side benefit was on a 14 degree day on an elk hunt they did a nice job keeping my rears warm. I even could hear birds sing which hasn't happened in more years that I can count. Back when I first started seriously shooting, 1954, we didn't know about the damage loud noises did.
PJ

I’m sorry to hear that. I have a good case of tinnitus from too many loud concerts and playing in a rock band for years without protection. I’m 53 and most of the 80’s and 90’s were very loud exposure times. Lots of shooting guns when I was a kid. No one I new wire protection. I had a friend crack off a 7mm Mag about two feet from my left ear twice in a row 20 years ago and that is what really gave me the super annoying ringing now. I’ve always wore my L3’s for the last 15 years or so shooting pistols, but besides hunting with a borrowed rifle three years ago this is really my first step back into center fired rifles in a good 40 years.

My shoulder are pretty sensitive to any recoil now due to wear and tear so that’s why I got the 6.5 CM. It happened to come with the Recoil Hawg brake so that’s how I’ve sighted it in. I put 50 rounds through the gun in one day and never got the slightest twinge. But it is loud as heck for sure. I can double up and deal with my mugs hitting when target shooting, but I’d like something for hunting that doesn’t interfere with my cheek weld and isn’t time consuming to use.