Later, I had some time to run to Harbor Freight and pick up a ball burr or something to crown the barrel with. They didn't have those, but they did have a set of Dremel stones, including a round one. Perfect for dressing the muzzle.
The Dremel proved to be too fast, so I chucked it in a drill.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It only took about 20 thou to clean it up.

Borescope shows it's a clean, even crown with nothing snagging patches. It's gotta shoot better now.

The cases are obviously 223 basics blown out a little to make them rebated rims. The mouth is very thin, like a 44-40 case or something. I was hoping I'd be able to hand load .357" bullets in this case, but I could not even seat a .355" by hand in a fired case. Tight chamber, very little clearance.

I am surprised how heavy this 16" upper is. With a sling & scope on it, mated to a lower, it weighs in at 8lb 6oz.

Was it worth being a scumball and going dumpster diving?

I guess, if you don't mind fixing a little and using a 2nds or 3rds upper receiver and all you want to do is blast a deer once in a while. We'll see if it stretched my nice lower. It jammed a lot, but all I have is GI & 7.62x40 magazines. GI fed best, but tended to place the 1st cartridge of 3's base too low. I ordered a genny wine 350 mag.
We'll see how that goes.

As far as the cartridge goes, I can't think of an AR chambering I prefer the 350L to except maybe 450 BM. So it ranks 2nd from last. IMO it's still the best option out of a rifle for straight wall states with a .35" minimum.

For deer blasting, the ammo is cheap enough that I probably won't handload it.

Politics is War by Other Means