I opted to go with a portable generator for my setup.

I just had a reliance brand 6 circuit transfer switch installed - switch and installation was a little over $600 by an electrician.

You'll get all kinds of opinions on generators, I ended up with a duel fuel electric start inverter generator by Champion for $800

Bought a #100 lb propane tank from TSC for $189 and had it filled for $79. I think I also spent $30 on an adapter.

If I had to do it over again, I would opt for the 10 circuit transfer switch because its only $50 more and I didn't get everything I wanted on the 6 circuit.

The setup I have now is good for about 10 days running 8 hours a day. I chose propane because it will last for years without any effort and I didn't want to try to track down gasoline if my neighborhood doesn't have power.

With this setup I can't run my A/C and I have gas heat. If I lived in a hurricane area, I would have gone the few extra thousand dollars and got a dedicated Generac. I can probably run a well pump without issue but I'm probably on the low end with my $800 generator

Last edited by KFWA; 11/08/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings