Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Winchester Timber Carbine 444.
My boys both use 45/70 Marlin lever guns.
New stuff? I havent owned or shot a 45/70
How did your youngsters take the kick? Apparently your kids know how to shoot.👍🏻
Having owned a Marlin 45/70 since the early 70's I can tell you that, depending on what load you're using, the kick can be fairly mild to somewhat uncomfortable or downright painful if you don't know how to handle a hard recoiling rifle.
For example, I once let a friend (6'5" and 310 lbs) shoot my Marlin. First shots were with 300 grain jhp factory loads (1800-ish fps). He liked shooting it and wanted more.
Next up were loads that pushed 405 grain soft points to over 2000 fps. He held the rifle loosely, like he was shooting a 22. The recoil ripped the skin on his shoulder a little and bloodied his t-shirt a bit. HUGE bruise on his shoulder. He has never shot that rifle/load again.
I'm 6' 2" and 250 lbs and find the rifle fairly pleasant to shoot with any load.
My kids started shooting it in their early teens and have had no problems handling the recoil from any of the loads.
You just have to hang on to it and treat it with respect.

There's no need to hot rod a 45/70. And, especially for deer, nothing to be gained by doing so.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~