Originally Posted by pcmacd
Bedding a rifle is not rocket science

Yea kinda agree but there are details that if not done correctly cost you success. Once I am aware of them and then know how to address them I'll never want to have someone else do it.
I'm closer than before. For instance, I didn't leave clearance on the front or sides of the recoil lug. Having thought about it enough I finally had the ah ha moment and realize you want all that shock concentrated at the lug - not channeling down the sides of the stock.
I figured if the right person did it for me then I would have a blueprint to reference.
But also realizing what you're saying and do think I'm closer than before.
I spent time with the 308 I bedded lately. Holding at the firetup of the stock and barrel and loosening and tightening the front action screw. The movement was there and wanted to try something. I took a thin tab of aluminum and drilled a hole in it and placed it on the platform behind the recoil lug where the action screw goes. Put it back together and tightened right up to the point the barrel and stock won't move.
This tension I believe is from lightly tightening the action screw when I bedded it. Must of been enough to put some tension between the barrel and stock. Then it set up that way. Makes sense now as I can feel the barrel pulling down to the stock when adjusting the tightness of the action screw.
Then I loaded up at my best charge and seating depth I was able to get before.
The results were amazing.
I knew I needed to check again on both sides of 2.820 so did that.
Found the direction to head and now I'm a happy camper.
Won't be satisfied till I take care of it correctly and address the other things but for now it's a good thing.
The creedmor is another story, not there yet.

Attached Images
Last edited by cbay; 11/22/22.