Here's the exact stock I'm talking about....the McMillan 'Varmint' pattern. In the past, McMillan cataloged this as the 'Sako Varmint' pattern as it's an exact duplicate of the original Sako Varmint stock. They would then inlet that blank for a Remington, etc. On some actions, that inletting would be a bit of a compromise for asthetics, though. Subsequently, McMillan made another mold that would better suit the non-Sako actions, while retaining all of the physical aspects of the Sako stock. As a McMillan dealer for some years.... suppling stocks to several rifle builders...I learned this from the late Kelly McMillan and Dick Davis (the shop supervisor) directly.

Anyway, this morning I grabbed one of my personal 6BR's with this exact stock for an example. Barrel is a 24" Lilja 3 groove HBR contour (.800 muzzle @ 24"), action is a short 700 extensively reworked by my mentor and good pard, the late Stan Ware (inside bored with a full length bolt sleeve, bolt handle repositioned for maximum camming, leading edges of the lug/abuttment angles increased and some shroud tricks).

With 65 gr. BIB flat bases, the thing shoots almost like a real-deal Benchrest rifle (with a capital B). But what I built it for, is 'dog whacking. With the 55 gr. Nosler BTips @ 3,700, it's just poison on longer range 'dogs....it's like cheatin'. wink

Anyway....enough blah-blah about the gun. Here's the stock, for those interested.

If you order a 'Varmint' pattern stock from McMillan inletted for a 700 or a clone, this is what you'll get. Again, it's a duplicate of the factory Sako Varmint wood stock...slight Monte Carlo, double palm swells, no cheek piece, flat forearm that will accept a large barrel.

Good shootin' smile -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner