Originally Posted by DollarShort
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by johnw
One of my favorite .22 rifles.

John,

Curious if you've tried the Marlin or the Henry for comparison?

Jerry

I’ve had two Marlins and one 9422, and IMO there’s no question the 9422 was smoother and better finished than either Marlin. My last 39 was purchased about a year ago and the trigger sucked and accuracy was so-so and it went down the road quickly. I was very disappointed. Great old guns with wonderful history and an amazing design, but for a shooter, and pride of ownership, I prefer the Winchester.
I’ve never heard of a 39 that wasn’t accurate.

My 39M with micro groove skinny barrel is slicker’n snot. And it’s a tac driver.
I mean when the action is closed, it has the feeling of being locked up, which is good. It’s nothing if not solid. The receiver and bolt are like one when closed.
You can feel it going past the various springs and lock ups when you work the action. But as long as you don’t try and baby it along.., it’s slick.
This particular 39M has the thinner forearm stock too. That and the straight grip buttstock gives it a feel closer to the 9422.
Can’t think of a good reason to change.

But the 9422’s are nice. More select walnut I’m sure. And a higher polish blueing.
I have never heard they are inherently more accurate though.

I would love a 9422 Magnum.
The Marlin magnum uses the longer, fatter 1894 receiver I believe. And it seems like I remember reading of some difficulties with it.

Well, my notions about .22 accuracy have “evolved” over the years, no doubt, and 3/4” for 5 shots at 50 yards with hunting ammo is my current standard. The 39A I tried then sold struggled to stay under an inch consistently with any of a number of ammo choices, even some mid-grade target stuff. Scoped, it was heavy, with a heavy trigger that ruled it out as an offhand shooter for me. Got my money back, almost, selling it to a neighbor. So I had the Marlin Experience and got out. If CZ-USA ever gets some 457 stocks in, I’ll replace the one on my MTR and soldier on with that.

Had a 9422 magnum for a bit too. Probably should’ve kept that, but domestic discord dictated I convert some stuff to cash….

That one was about a 1” gun, though others report better luck. 1” is adequate for .22 mag-sized critters I think, but I also have a Hornet that beats that with .22 magnum-equivalent loads.

What fresh Hell is this?