Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've known a couple ultra-light backpacking fanatics who could be potential fatalities like this. Their goal is to cut the weight, not to see the country. They will calculate how much water they need each day and carry nothing more. No 1st aid kits, no extra fire starting stuff, no extra clothing, nothing for emergencies.

Interesting perspective on lightweight backpacking, I can't imagine a backpacker who's not interested in seeing the country, it's kind of unavoidable. The people I know who cut ounces do it so they can go faster/further and see more country.

Anyway, this young woman was not a backpacker, she was a day-hiker and a peak bagger. Her goal that day was to summit three of New Hampshire's highest peaks, which she accomplished. Lots of people go as light as possible in that situation, and she did a few things right. Her mother was waiting for her at the trailhead and reported her missing before nightfall and the search was started that evening.

She apparently missed a turn on the trail, and according to what I read, it's easy to miss the turn even in good weather and other hikers have done it at the same spot and had to be rescued.

Condolences to the family, can't imagine what they're going through.

A wise man is frequently humbled.