Originally Posted by Dre
My buddy in Oregon wanted to buy a long rifle before the new measure 114 takes affect. He’s mainly into hand guns and ARs. Total newb to this.

Reached out to me and I suggested tikka, sauer 100, Bergara. Etc…. For a hunting rifle. Kind of One and done for now.

His other buddy recommended Remington as it has so many parts for it.
He ended up with 700 ADL. In 6.5. I guess due to limited availability at the store now. Due to massive hoarding prior Dec. 8th deadline.
I have two 6.5s so I don’t care about the caliber.
After the guy at sportsman’s sold him rail and 30 mm leupold rings and viper scope with 1” tube, he was saying how it’s getting expensive. Especially now as he is looking at a new Chasi with a magazine, trigger job, threading the barrel for a muzzle break/can.

I know he’s going different direction, but I feel like guys ask for help all the time. Especially on line and don’t follow any of it or already have their mind set on something else.

Rant over

Sounds like the other friend has more pull than you did. I have a buddy in SWAT that asks my opinion all the time. Was just shooting with him yesterday, in fact. He was setting up one of his work guns and wanted me there to help him. He's about 12 years younger, but very open to suggestions. I think it's how you present yourself, or show them what can be done. Some people just need to be shown and then they get it. My buddy has had minor issues with some of his rifles that were very easy to fix at the range. Some simple things like loose scope mounts or rings affected group size. When tightened up, groups went from 2-3" or scattered to nice 3/4" triangles. That happened yesterday and also a different time with one of his AR10's.

For suggesting rifles, if that is what this thread is about, I generally just suggest Tikka at this point and everyone of my buddies (that have listened) have been very happy. Again, take them out and show them. Here's a couple groups shot by myself and a buddy, with my rifle, when he was trying to decide which 6.5 creedmoor rifle to buy:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then his group:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
After we were done at the range, he went to Cabela's and bought himself a nice Tikka Superlite rifle. Easy peasy..

He still loves his CRF model 70's, as I do, but now when guys ask him what to buy, he says Tikka.. Now, since the internet side of it came up: It seems like those that don't want to listen to advice always have questions, they rarely listen and go off on their own as if they have decided way before they asked the question. Those are the guys that always have problems with their rifles and loads too. They walk around with their heads up their azz a lot I think, most times there is no helping them... That is their prerogative..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA